I Was Injured at Work, Now What?

September 22, 2022

I Was Injured at Work, Now What? Post Image

Employers in each state are required to provide their employees a healthy and safe work environment. Occasionally despite the employers efforts, workplace injuries will occur. In other instances, if you were injured at work because of an unsafe work environment you may want to get a lawyer involved. If you were injured at work it may include everything from broken bones, occupational illnesses, even psychological injuries. Every state has some type of system that helps employees with work-related injuries.

According to Zippia.com, on average, 2.8 out of 100 workers in the U.S are injured in workplace accidents every year. With 2.8 million nonfatal workplace accidents and injuries occurring yearly across the nation’s private employment industry, about 2.8 people out of 100 get injured at work, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Were you one of the 2.8 million that have been injured at work? Keep reading to learn more about what you should do next.

What to Do if You’re Injured at Work

While California has a worker’s compensation system, it is limited in what it can offer. For those who have suffered serious injuries, may not get what they deserve. If you are injured at work, you should immediately report the injury to your employer. Additionally document any hazards that contributed to the injury with photos or video. Generally, it is illegal for an employer to fire you for reporting an injury.

Depending on the nature and severity of the injury, you may wish to pursue a claim through the California worker’s compensation system, file a lawsuit, or do both. A law firm with specific experience handling workplace injury cases can help you determine the best path to choose.

Workplace injury litigation can be quite complex, so it’s essential to consult with an attorney who focuses on such cases. By doing so, you help ensure that you receive fair and just compensation for your injury.

If I Am Injured at Work, Can I See My Own Doctor?

Under the FECA you may initially select any qualified doctor to be your treating doctor. But, if you are not a federal employee, you are not covered by the FECA. In that case, State Law will apply. Typically, employees who are injured are referred to a doctor recruited and paid for by their employers. Usually, you will be required to see the company doctor for a maximum of 30 days, and then you will be able to choose your own physician.

If the second opinion doctor’s report agrees with your treating doctor’s opinions, there generally is no problem, and FECA compensation payments will continue uninterrupted. If the second opinion doctor’s report is different from the first doctor’s report there are two options: the office can either weigh the medical evidence to determine which doctor’s opinion is more accurate or declare a “tie” and seek a third doctor’s opinion.

Do I Need a Lawyer For a Workplace Injury?

Hiring a lawyer for a workplace injury will depend on the complexity of your case. If you are not sure you understand any part of your case, a local workplace injury lawyer can be a great asset.

B|B Law Group is a Los Angelas Personal Injury and Employment Law firm. Our goal is simple: preserve and protect the legal rights of the people of Southern California. Our award winning team of attorneys are experienced in the fields of personal injuryemployment and habitability law. It is our mission to provide our clients with the best legal representation.

Do I have a case?

Contact us today with the details of your case.

Contact us